be-tarask

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Apr 30 02:26:15 CEST 2007

Michael Everson wrote:
> At 11:04 +0300 2007-04-25, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
>
> >Such comment IS WRONG in all ways. 1929 edition is VERY
> >different from what Jaska wants to register. And I think he can
> >even prove this by himself.

Before I begin to comment and question, let me reiterate that I
have no opinion or knowledge about Belarusian.  I'm just following
and learning this registration process, for the case that I could
some day need to register subtags for other languages.

If I understand this right, there was a book by Mr. Taraskievich
in 1918, published in its 5th edition in 1929, then an official
government reform in 1933 and one more in 1959.  Then in 2005 a
new book that connects back to 1929.  We now have 5 different
years that each could identify a slightly different version of the
language, but these five can be grouped into two major branches:
the 1933-1959 version that is today the official version in the
republic of Belarus and the 1918-1929-2005 version now to be
registered as "be-tarask".

>From a philosophical standpoint, you need names for things only to
tell them apart.  If there was no difference between apples and
pears, we could just call it "fruit" and that would be it.  It
follows that if there is a difference and you need a word for
"apples", then you also need a word for "pears".

It is peculiar (to me) already that "be-tarask" is registered
without also registering a subtag for the other, official version
of Belarusian.  Suppose I start up my word processor and activate
the spelling correction.  Which dictionary do I want to use?
Be-tarask or the other one that doesn't have a subtag?  Is that to
be called "be" without the subtag?  The only similar case I know
is de-1901 and de-1996, where both subtags were registered at the
same time.

The above post from Ihar is the first time I see that the 2005
version would be "VERY different" from the 1929 version.  Does
that mean somebody will need to register a new subtag for the 1929
version, to tell it apart from the 2005 version?  Are there
different newspapers printed in these two sub-sub-versions of
Belarusian?  In the light of this, was it perhaps a mistake to use
the name of the 1918-1929 author, Mr. Taraskievich, as the basis
for the subtag for the 2005 version of the language?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)