be-tarask

Jaska Zedlik sub at zedlik.com
Wed Apr 25 11:31:48 CEST 2007

Michael Everson wrote:

ME> I propose:

ME>     Type: variant
ME>     Subtag: tarask
ME>     Prefix: be
ME>     Comments: The subtag represents Belarusian orthography as
ME> published in Branislau Taraskievic's "Bielaruskaja gramatyka dla
ME> skol" (Vilnia: "Bielaruskaha kamitetu", 1929, 5th edition).

The problem is that the current version of the orthography is slightly
different from the described in this book and this book doesn't
include a large chapter about reproducing of the foreign words in
Belarusian. So if to leave only one book, this should be another.

Well, certainly I don't think that addig the words "classical
orthography" would be a kind of legitimizing. The only purpose of this
is to show that is somebody wants to tag Taraskievica he should use
tarask and if somebody wants to tag classical orthography he also
should use tarask. And this will prevent any possible further requests
to register the variant titled only "classical orthography" (without
Tartaskievica) grounding on the Belarusian classical orthography book.

Than we have a group of users who want the orthography to be called as
"classical" also and Yury Tarasievich who doesn't want it. As I know
from the previous discussions in other places Yury will never agree
with this position. I'm also bored with such a discussion so I suggest
to stop this struggle and take a decision grounding on the opinion of
the users, on the opinion of Yury who is a non-user, and the arguments
said till now.

So the variant I propose:

   Type: variant
   Subtag: tarask
   Prefix: be
   Comments: The subtag represents Belarusian in Taraskievica or
Belarusian classical orthography.

Jaska Zedlik