[Ltru] Re: Archival of registration forms

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Apr 25 07:14:02 CEST 2007

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> It was thought that sending additional information to IANA that was not
> intended for insertion into the Registry, such as the requester's name
> and e-mail address and extensive bibliographic references, would result
> in confusion on the part of IANA and possible errors in the Registry.

They seemed to manage it all right in the 1766/3066 era, keeping both
short explanations at http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags
and full registration forms with name, email, and biblio at
the directory http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tags/ .

It's true that the former is technically redundant with the latter,
but both are useful.  The LSR correspons to the latter, but nothing
corresponds to the former, and we may need the contents of it in
future.

> It seems to me that if IANA needs to archive (which I assume also means
> "make publicly available") the original registration forms, then there
> is substantial duplication between the two forms in Figure 4 and Figure
> 5 that needs to be resolved.  It needs to be clear to IANA which
> information is to be added to the Registry and which is not.  I think
> this is an ideal time to review the two forms and possibly consolidate
> them for RFC 4646bis.

+1

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
Any sufficiently-complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc,