[Ltru] Re: "mis" update review request

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Apr 21 06:51:09 CEST 2007

Mark Davis scripsit:

> Well, every file available on the web, like
> http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/tapestry/win/date.h (chosen at random)
> gets some language tag when processed at Google (I can't say what MSN,
> Yahoo, and other search engines do). So right under your nose millions
> of pages of source code are getting tagged, all the time. We are faced
> with the practical problem of what the best thing to do is according
> to the standard.

Is "we" Google here, or the WG?  I don't think the WG is faced with any
such problem, though I agree that Google is; however, Google has a variety
of moves (including ignoring the issue, using "zxx", using a private tag,
or using a 'zxx' language subtag with a private subtag.

Without wishing to induce a breach of the rules of Fight Club, I'd be
interested to know what Google does currently, and whether it recognizes
such a file as C source or not.

--
And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening
beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from