[Ltru] RE: "mis" update review request

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Sat Apr 14 18:41:10 CEST 2007

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Peter Constable wrote:

> "" means 'I'm giving no information.'

Does that apply to its use in xml:lang="" too? That's different from
omitting xml:lang.

If you have an XML document with xml:lang="en" for the root element, then
any subelement is assumed to be in English by default. The attribute
xml:lang="" is the recommended way of breaking such inheritance. In
practical terms, it seems to say 'I'm not telling the language of the
content is but I'm saying it's not English'. Or should it be interpreted
as saying 'I'm giving no information except that you should not assume
that the language of the content is the same as declared for its parent'?