[Ltru] RE: "mis" update review request

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sun Apr 15 00:42:06 CEST 2007

From: Kent Karlsson [mailto:kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se]

>> "" means 'I'm giving no information.'
>
> Agreed, but if one removes the subjective parts here, then
> "" and "und" are then very much the same.

The only difference is that with "und" you can infer that the tagger evaluated the content made a conscious choice to use "und", whereas with "" you know nothing about the tagger's decision process. In terms of processing you can do on content so tagged, I don't think there's a difference.

>> und means 'I have not determined what the language attribute
>> is of this information object.'
>
> I'm not too keen on the subjectiveness ("I") here. It assumes
> that the "I" (or "we") is somehow known or knowable for a use
> instance.

Replace "I" with "whomever/whatever process tagged this content.

>> mis means 'I have determined that this information object is
>> in a language other than the set of languages covered by the
>> available identifiers.'
>
> That would be "other (human) language". But you want to remove
the "other" from the collection names

It is a special case, the one case where "other" is OK.

> Assuming instead a "mis" without the "other" part, "mis" would
> say "any one (human) language", almost the same as "und" and
> "" except that "mis" would not cover "mul" nor "zxx".

No good: "mis" without "other" is no long the same "mis".

Peter