[Ltru] Collection tags considered problematic (was: "mis" update review request)

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Apr 14 03:29:51 CEST 2007

From: John Cowan [mailto:cowan at ccil.org]

> The trouble is that we don't really know the extensional
> definition of these collective language tags:  they are
> defined purely intensionally.

At one point early in our involvement with ISO 639, Gary Simons and I suggested that the collections be given extensional definitions, as has been done with macrolanguages (in the macrolanguage mapping table). But as our interest was in coverage for individual languages and no in the collections, we didn't take any interest in pursuing either evaluating the merits or getting that implemented.

Peter