[Ltru] Re: "mis" update review request

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Apr 14 01:03:20 CEST 2007

It's my impression that, in MARC, the categories were considered to be an exception. At this point in ISO 639, I think the collections cannot be treated as partitions: the additions in 639-3 basically undermine that assumption. However, it might still be possible to treat the *collections* as a partition.

None of that changes the intention of mis in MARC, which I'd have to say is the same intention in ISO 639: mis is the "else" case - i.e. none of the other coded categories fits. The problem with mis is one of maintainability: any time a new entry is added in ISO 639, some documents tagged with mis may suddenly become inappropriately tagged.

Peter