ISO 3166-1 newsletter on Serbia and Montenegro

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 27 07:42:50 CEST 2006

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> In short, we need to deprecate CS (for the last time, we hope),
> and add RS for Serbia and ME for Montenegro.

We can only deprecate CS this one time.  If ISO 3166/MA re-reused it,
for a reunified Serbia and Montenegro or any other entity, we would have
to press a UN M.49 3-digit code element into service as a region subtag.
We did that on purpose.

In separate mails I will send the three necessary registration forms:

* to add region subtag RS
* to add region subtag ME
* to deprecate region subtag CS

Please note that CS will *not* have a Preferred-Value attached to it.
This is exactly the same situation as for region subtags NT and SU.  It
should be evident that neither "Serbia" nor "Montenegro" is a suitable
replacement for "Serbia and Montenegro."

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA