REQUEST for registration of variant subtag 'grabar'

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 14:09:44 CEST 2006

Peter wrote:

> I trust it is clear to all that I have not opposed the
> registration of a variant subtag for Grabar because I wish to
> manipulate any list against common culture and needed usage,
> or because I am trying to hide my ignorance. Rather, it is
> because I believe users needing a tag for Grabar content will
> be best served, and the overall coherence of our system of
> ISO 639 IDs and RFC 4646 tags will be optimized, if this
> variety is given an identifier in ISO 639 rather than being
> coded with a variant subtag.

I think this is perfectly clear and I completely agree.

I hope other members of this list will also comment on this in order that we
may move forward and respond to the request in the appropriate manner; with
a decision and, assuming others agree, direction to the ISO 639 JAC.

In these type of situations it is always best to use the documented process.

Best regards

Debbie