LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: USSR Latin (ussrlatn)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Oct 22 02:05:07 CEST 2006

Mark Davis scripsit:

> The only need for variants would be if there were substantially different
> competing orthographic systems for Tatar in Latin. In that case, it is
> certainly possible to add one or more variant subtags to distinguish those
> variants; we do that in many cases. However, we should not move on this
> particular request until we have settled the general issue of dealing with
> different transliteration schemes.

There are multiple tt-Latn orthographies, but this is not a
matter of transliteration.  The requested orthography here
was designed de novo for Tatar in the 1930s, replacing the
non-standardized Arabic orthography.  It is not a transliteration
of tt-Cyrl, which was actually invented afterwards.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatar_language#Writing_system for details.

Nor is it the same, as the request explains, as the current Tatar Latin
orthography.  This is a historical orthography and as such deserves a
variant tag.

--
Henry S. Thompson said, / "Syntactic, structural,               John Cowan
Value constraints we / Express on the fly."                 cowan at ccil.org