SignWriting (was: Re: NEW-INSERT LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION for "Sgnw")

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 15 07:28:25 CEST 2006

Mark Davis wrote:

> Could we see a bit more of a description of what Sgnw is supposed to
> be? That is, is
>
> en-Sgnw
>
> supposed to be signed English? And if so, with what system?

SignWriting is a notation system for sign languages.  It describes the
hand gestures and eyebrow raises and everything else that constitutes
sign language.

So in the RFC 4646bis era, you might write "sgn-ase-Sgnw" to indicate
American Sign Language written in SignWriting.

The Wikipedia article on "SignWriting" includes an example of Flemish
Sign Language written in SignWriting.

DIGRESSION:  The Wikipedia page on "Flemish Sign Language" gives an ISO
639-2 code element of "sgn-BE-VLG", which not only is not a real ISO
code element but doesn't even appear on Michael's sign language page; he
gives "sgn-BE-nl" for "Belgian-Flemish Sign Language" instead.  (Note
that "VLG" is the ISO 3166-2 code element for "Vlaamse Gewest", or
Flanders.)  It also states that Flemish Sign Language was "previously
known as Belgian Sign Language," which raises two questions: (1) should
"sgn-BE-nl" be deprecated in the RFC 4646bis era and given a
Preferred-Value of "sgn-bvs", and (2) what happened to Michael's
"Belgian-French Sign Language," coded as "sgn-BE-fr"?

We still haven't reached any agreement on how to tag signed spoken
languages.  Michael proposed to use "sgn" plus an ISO 639-2/B alpha-3
language code element, plus an ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code
element -- thus, "sgn-eng-US" for signed American English.  Presumably
"sgn-eng" could be used for signed English, country not specified,
although I don't know if that has any meaning in the world of signed
spoken languages.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/