Suppress-Script: Japn for language ja (Japanese)

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 2 07:43:29 CEST 2006

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

>> This registration intends to fix this oversight.
>
> Good.  Getting rid of dubious fy-Latn or frr-Latn tags later
> if some taggers / tools decided to use it might be possible,
> but for ja-Jpan waiting to see what happens is no option.

Frank, if you want to resubmit your proposals to add a Suppress-Script
for frr and frs and fy, I won't argue against them.  It seems rather
clear, from a brief amount of research, that these languages are, and
always have been, overwhelmingly written in the Latin script.

If you want to propose, based on this, that we evaluate each of the 363
primary language subtags in the current Registry -- or the 7,067 in the
proposed 4646bis Registry -- that do not currently have a
Suppress-Script, to see if one should be added, then I would suggest you
find an organization that is willing to finance such a project.  I'm a
volunteer and have to fit this work into my spare time.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/