[Ltru] Re: [iso15924-jac] Re: Phonetic orthographies

Marion Gunn mgunn at egt.ie
Wed Nov 22 19:11:49 CET 2006

On 22 Nov 2006, at 01:29, scríobh Mark Davis:

> The political season is over...
> Language tags are a big customer for ISO 15924, and it would seem
> reasonable to at least consider the issue from all sides...

I concur.

> I think I might not have been clear. While there may be good
> reasons for why IPA doesn't qualify, and yet Hans & Hant qualify,
> but the JAC did not make the rationale clear. While the difference
> may be blindingly obvious to you, it would be helpful to hear what
> it actually is, more than an "I concur".

I concur.:-)

> I don't think anyone is expecting books in IPA -- it would be, as
> you say, tagged fragments.

Actually, I would - mostly what I see are bks with parallel texts -
but tagged fragments will suffice, for now.

> No, I think everyone is aware that there are multiple systems of
> phonetic representations. So IPA would likely be the first of
> several. But it is clearly a relatively important one, being in
> pretty widespread use in dictionaries and other sources. As with
> encoding characters, or script variants, at some point you have to
> make judgments as to whether a system is in wide enough usage to be
> worth encoding; systems that are in ad hoc, limited use wouldn't
> qualify.

I concur.

> But a side note: a list of 8 different potential systems is not
> exactly scary, given we that we are at the point of adding some
> 7,000 new language tags.

Exactly what I was thinking, and not really  such a big "ask" (given
the potential benefits accruing to all).

mg

- -
Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an