Reactions on the WiktionaryZ answers

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 14 15:33:13 CET 2006

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> Competing orthographies that are actually in use (i.e. not mere
> proposals with no actual support) can be added to the IANA registry
> easily, using the same mechanism as dialects.

In fairness, I do think we should temper this a bit, and not give the
impression that the process is entirely automatic.  There are currently
two proposals on the table for alternate orthographies which the
Reviewer intends to reject unless more authoritative references are
provided.  Two months ago the variants "eastern" and "western" were
rejected as being too broad; they were accepted only after being changed
to "arevela" and "arevmda".  Frank's request for have a Suppress-Script
added for "fy" was denied.

Note that I'm not saying this is a bad thing; or that I necessarily
disagree with all of these rejections.  There does need to be a review
process to ensure that reasonable and non-bogus entries are registered.
I just think we do newcomers a disservice by implying it's a
rubber-stamp process.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/