LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION - CS

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon May 22 19:03:43 CEST 2006

If CS were to get redefined as "Serbia" (say), then the tags xx-CS will suddenly have a different denotation with a narrower scope.

I presume there are no differences between Serbian (or other languages) as spoken/written in Serbia vs. Montenegro, so one might try to argue that documents with that tag are still acceptably tagged - in other words, for purposes of language distinctions CS in the context a language tag xx-CS would effectively continue to mean "Serbia and Montenagro".

Note, though, for people using IETF language tags as locale IDs that that would not be acceptable: CS would absolutely have to mean Serbia and not Montenegro.

The long and short is that I think the best solution, whenever you have a potential situation of a qualifier such as CS taking a narrower scope, is to leave the denotation of that ID as is and to create a new ID for the narrower denotation.