49,456,795

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 25 22:24:32 CET 2006

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

>> How did you arrive at these counts?  I got 487 languages, 104
>> scripts, 282 regions.
>
> You may have been filtering out some codes, like private use. Here
> is the list I extract.

Indeed, I was only counting the number of records, not the number of
subtags, so that a record like this:

Type: language
Subtag: qaa..qtz
Added: 2005-10-16

counted as only 1 instead of 260.  My bad.

I'm always curious about the math in posts like this, or like Ken's
occasional "How many Unicode characters?" posts, so I'll want to go back
and do it myself anyway.  One thing I would note is that the number of
redundant tags makes no difference in the final count.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA