Fixing the lost el-Latn

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 25 21:04:19 CET 2006

I have to admit being a bit confused about Luc's concern here.  The tag
"el-Latn" is perfectly valid according the RFC 3066bis generative
syntax, whether or not it is listed as a "redundant" tag or not.*
Furthermore, unlike some of the "sgn-" tags, "el-Latn" as a generative
tag unequivocally means the exact same thing as if it were listed as
redundant: "Greek language in Latin script."

I agree with Luc that IANA made a mistake in not adding "el-Latn" to the
registry, but this mistake does not really affect RFC 3066bis
implementations at all.  Redundant entries only exist for a
documentation purpose, to indicate what has happened to tags formerly
registered under the old 1766/3066 rules.  The only real benefit I can
see is for applications that support RFC 1766 and 3066 registered tags,
but do not support RFC 3066bis, and even then this is not a matter of
fixing the new subtag registry -- just one of retroactively fixing the
old tag registry.

This is *not* the same as fixing the "fy" problem that occurred this
past week, because when IANA introduced a second "fy" record, that
actually made the registry syntactically invalid.  An application that
reads the registry can be expected to associate one subtag of a given
type with one or more descriptions contained within the *same record*.
(For example, "gsw" is both "Swiss German" and "Alemanic.")  It would
not expect to find two different "fy" records.  What if the "Added" or
"Comments" fields were different between the two records?

It could technically be argued that IANA violated Section 5.1 by fixing
their error, but my opinion is that leaving this clerical error in place
would have been much worse.  And I still do not see how this is related
to "el-Latn," since (again) that tag is legal under 3066bis whether it
is listed as a redundant tag or not.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA