[Ltru] status of RFC 3066 or RFC 3066bis in relation to HTTP Accept-Language

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sat Mar 25 01:40:16 CET 2006

John Cowan wrote:

> McDonald, Ira scripsit:
>
> > Precisely my point about RFC 2396 (Generic URI Syntax) and its
> > successor RFC 3986.  Dozens of IETF and other standards specs
> > were broken by RFC 3986 doing away with some ABNF productions
> > and renaming others.  And Roy Fielding wasn't terribly polite
> > about squashing my complaint.  And the IESG blithely approved
> > this core spec with this glaring deficiency.
>
> How did section D.2 of RFC 3986 fail to satisfy you?

Sorry - I wasn't aware that section D.2 was added - Roy never
saw fit to point it out in response to my questions.

Although, presumably (being an Appendix), section D.2 (which maps
from 'obsolete' RFC2396 BNF rules to RFC 3986 BNF rules) is merely
Informative and so this still makes me queazy.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839