[Ltru] status of RFC 3066 or RFC 3066bis in relation to HTTP Accept-Language

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Mar 24 23:46:49 CET 2006

McDonald, Ira scripsit:

> Precisely my point about RFC 2396 (Generic URI Syntax) and its
> successor RFC 3986.  Dozens of IETF and other standards specs
> were broken by RFC 3986 doing away with some ABNF productions
> and renaming others.  And Roy Fielding wasn't terribly polite
> about squashing my complaint.  And the IESG blithely approved
> this core spec with this glaring deficiency.

How did section D.2 of RFC 3986 fail to satisfy you?

> Peter - I think you're on your own - and note that RFC 1766
> doesn't exactly gracefully prepare programmers for 'script'
> subtags in the second position followed by 'region' subtags
> in the third position - quoting from page 2 of RFC 1766:

It prepares programmers for tags like zh-yue-taishan-us-ny-nyc,
or should if they read it.

>    The syntax of this tag in RFC-822 EBNF is:
>
>     Language-Tag = Primary-tag *( "-" Subtag )
>     Primary-tag = 1*8ALPHA
>     Subtag = 1*8ALPHA
>
> <...snip...>

Which is to say, there may be any number of subtags.

>    In the first subtag:
>
>     -    All 2-letter codes are interpreted as ISO 3166 alpha-2
>          country codes denoting the area in which the language is
>          used.
>
>     -    Codes of 3 to 8 letters may be registered with the IANA by
>          anyone who feels a need for it, according to the rules in
>          chapter 5 of this document.

This does not say that country codes MUST NOT appear elsewhere, only
that when a 2-letter code appears in the first (nowadays the second)
subtag, it MUST be a country code.

--
I don't know half of you half as well           John Cowan
as I should like, and I like less than half     cowan at ccil.org
of you half as well as you deserve.             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        --Bilbo                                 http://www.ap.org