Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 24 07:32:31 CET 2006

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> On http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49alpha.htm, I see 4
> missing codes, not three.
>
> 830  Channel Islands
> 831  Guernsey
> 833  Isle of Man
> 832  Jersey
>
> That is, they still haven't changed 830 into a regional code. Any word
> on that? Also, what will the alpha-3 codes for these be?

If I remember correctly, and I may not, 830 was assigned in UN M.49
before the others were.  831, 832, and 833 have always matched the
Exceptionally Reserved ISO 3166-1 code elements GG, JE, and IM
respectively, but there has never been an ISO 3166 equivalent for 830.

To my mind, it would make the most sense for UNSD to treat 830 as a
(very small) geographical sub-region code element, comprising 831 and
832, much the same way that 053 comprises Australia and New Zealand.
Mark is correct that they have chosen not to do this, at least for now,
and I for one have no way of knowing whether they plan to keep it that
way.

Only ISO 3166/MA can say what the alpha-3 codes corresponding to GG, JE,
and IM will be... although a little bird may have whispered them in
Debbie's ear.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA