[IANA #5969] FW: MODIFY LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION for "fy"

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 22 07:39:48 CET 2006

Nicole Rothstein <iana dash prot dash param at icann dot org> wrote:

> We have completed your request to add the following language-subtag to
> the registry:
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2006-03-08
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: fy
> Added: 2006-03-08
> %%

Not to beat this into the ground, but the word MODIFY in the title of
this message -- as originally sent by me and forwarded by Michael to
IANA -- is IANA's clue that this request is for the *modification* of an
existing subtag, not the *addition* of a new subtag.  (That is also why
the Added date for this record was not 2006-03-08 as it was for all the
other requests.)

The result of treating this modification request as an addition is that
there are now two records in the registry for language subtag "fy".
This changes the registry from being out-of-date to being invalid.  It
needs to be corrected by either:

1.  removing the first (older) "fy" record, or
2.  removing the second (new) "fy" record and changing the description
of the first (older) record from "Frisian" to "Western Frisian."

Mark's idea of giving IANA a new, ready-to-eat file that they simply
need to host on their site starts to look better and better.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA