[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Mar 15 20:41:32 CET 2006

McDonald, Ira scripsit:

> Below is a verbatim quote from page 87 of IPP/1.1 (RFC2911):

[snip]

>    The 'naturalLanguage' attribute syntax is a standard identifier for a
>    natural language and optionally a country.  The values for this
>    syntax type are defined by RFC 1766 [RFC1766].

[snip]

> I personally have seen code at Sharp and Xerox that specifically
> checks for language and optional country subtags and treats any
> other language-tag as a syntax error.

In that case, that code did not comply with RFC 1766, which provides
a specific set of syntax rules for language tags.  The types "xx" and
"xx-yy" are only a small subset of the full syntax.  (RFC 3066 extended
this syntax, and RFC 3066bis *restricts* it.)

Specifically, the language tags "i-ami", "i-bnn", "i-default",
"i-klingon", "i-lux", "i-mingo", "i-navajo", "i-pwn", "i-tao", "i-tay",
"i-tsu", "no-bok", "no-nyn", "zh-gan", "zh-guoyu", "zh-hakka", "zh-min",
"zh-min-nan", "zh-wuu", and "zh-yue" were all valid RFC 1766 tags as of
the publication of IPP/1.1, and a system claiming conformance to that
protocol cannot validly reject them.

(Some of these tags are or will be deprecated, but none were deprecated
at the time.)

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
        "You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"
                --fortune cookies opened by a couple that I know