[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 15 08:04:16 CET 2006

McDonald, Ira <imcdonald at sharplabs dot com> wrote:

> Umm - all existing network printers are going to fail to
> "do something reasonable" if you send them ANY language
> tag that includes a script subtag - because they don't
> have parsers to take it apart - so they'll fall back to
> the administrator/manufacturer configured default document
> language.  This applies BOTH to external tags (in print
> protocols) and internal tags (in print datastreams, like
> PostScript or XML instance documents).

Again, I quote the passage from Section 4.1.2.3 of RFC 2911 that appears
to be relevant:

"the Associated Natural-Language parts match if the shorter of the two
meets the syntactic requirements of RFC 1766 [RFC1766] and matches byte
for byte with the longer.  For example, 'en' matches 'en', 'en-us' and
'en-gb', but matches neither 'fr' nor 'e'."

How does this square with your assertion that IPP will fail if fed "ANY
language tag that includes a script subtag"?  This is a simple
remove-from-right algorithm.  If the printer knows "en" and the document
gives it "en-Latn-US-x-blah-blah", the RFC 2911 algorithm passes with
flying colors.  Are you saying that the printers all have "en-US",
"fr-FR" and the like?  Or is does IPP actually use a different, more
rigid algorithm than this?

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA