[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 15 02:00:33 CET 2006

Hi -

> > Let's work through a specific example.
> > Document tagged ga-Latg-IE. Printer defaults to en.
> >    (1) What will go wrong?
> >    (2) How is this different from a document tagged en-US, which
> >         contains a single word which, if it had been tagged,
> > would have
> >         been tagged ga-Latg-IE?
> >

> Depending on the tagged charset, various things will go wrong.
>
> If the charset tag is 'UTF-8' it's useless info, so the printer
> will guess the script and character repertoire and _font_ based
> on the language tag - which fall back in this example to 'en-US'.
>
> That font won't contain the accents necessary to render ga-Latg-IE,
> so a bunch of those annoying little black squares will replace every
> character that's not in the US-ASCII subset of the Latin script.

This suggests that, in general, documents cannot be rendered
properly if they contain characters requiring scripts other than the
script customarily used for the document's primary language.
For multi-script multi-lingual documents to be unprintable by design
would be so broken that I have a hard time believing this
is how things actually work, particularly since it is so contrary
to my own experience.

Randy