[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 14 17:02:29 CET 2006

> From: John Cowan [mailto:cowan at ccil.org]

> > As much as the discussion of manuscripts and the meaning of "Latg" may
> > be interesting, haven't we lost sight of what's actually needed? Isn't
> > it the case that we only need a suppress-script tag for something
> > like sga if that lang ID has been commonly used with a country ID --
> > e.g. sga-IE? Somehow I think that's not the case for sga or mga.
>
> I think so too.  But unfortunately, absence of evidence is not evidence of
> absence, and -- given the grave consequences of being wrong -- I think we
> have
> to assume that if a possibility exists it has been used.

So just how many network printers and email agents are going to fail to do something reasonable if sga-Latg-IE or mga-Latg-IE are encountered?

IMO, we're worrying over nothing. Suppress script was added because of really high risk cases, like en-US and fr-FR, not really marginal cases like sga-IE.

Peter Constable