[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Mar 14 06:33:50 CET 2006

scripsi:

> I was actually referring to handwriting (manuscript) tradition.  The
> letter shapes are much older than the dots or the pre-reform spelling
> conventions; indeed, these shapes were used for Old English, which has
> no dots, and would probably appear in Welsh manuscripts of comparable
> age if we had any.

Indeed, St. Cadfan's Church in Tywyn contains the oldest known Welsh
inscription, and the letterforms are clearly insular:  see
http://www.tywyn-ctc.org.uk/CImages/st-cadfans-stone.jpg

--
A poetical purist named Cowan           [that's me: cowan at ccil.org]
Once put the rest of us dowan.          [on xml-dev]