Language tags in IPP (was: Re: [Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages)

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Tue Mar 14 01:46:33 CET 2006

I think that you may have missed my point.

Within the email world, the need to *NOT* use UTF-8 for outgoing email is
rapidly vanishing.

This, in turn, makes it viable to construct email applications that only
generate UTF-8 email, even if they accept email in other charsets (and
promptly convert it to Unicode internally).  Given what a pain in the
posterior it is to deal with generating multiple character sets, it is
becoming VERY tempting for software implementors to do just that.

The point of my message is that not even traditional applications (such as
Pine) are standing in the way of this from happening any more.  Mass
market applications, such as Outlook and Mozilla, haven't been in the way
for ages; in fact, they helped force it along.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, McDonald, Ira wrote:
> Ned - thanks for your illuminating note on email - but
> Mark seems to have missed the point entirely - to whit,
> support for UTF-8 in email readers has NOTHING to do with
> administrators and users actually throwing away their
> "legacy" email systems and moving to pure Unicode.
> There are lots of benefits to Unicode - thus IPP specs have
> always REQUIRED support for UTF-8 by all printers.  But it
> will be many years before most _deployed_ applications make
> it reasonable to shift to Unicode everywhere, if ever.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.