[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sun Mar 12 05:38:03 CET 2006

Hi Randy,

(tearing out tufts of hair and groaning...)

Please ignore my unfortunately obscure example of PostScript
- instead think IBM IPDS or any of a hundred other print
data languages.

Please let's all stop dwelling in the world of electronic ink
(email and the web) for a moment.

EVERY single network printer in the world today happens to be a
"pre3066bis tag-aware application" in their FIRMWARE (which will
NOT get updated - these are not desktop-like systems).

If you EXTERNALLY (in the control stream or print protocol)
send a language tag and some document data to ANY existing
printer and you use "en-Latn-US", only one of two things will
happen:

(1) The print job will be rejected for an unsupported
    mandatory-to-honor attribute.

(2) The print job will be rendered in some arbitrary glyph
    set, based on the administrator or manufacturer having
    configured the printer's default natural language.

This is not supposition - I personally co-authored most
of the IETF, IEEE, and FSG printer standards in the last
decade.  This is a long-term SERIOUS problem, if people
start tagging NEW documents with a script when not needed.

When an existing or new web resource finally becomes spots
on paper, people are going to start getting real annoyed
if script subtags are carelessly used - many years will
pass before most network printers _understand_ script
subtags.

Later this year, I'll begin writing the IEEE standard for
how IPP and other network printers should cope with script
subtags (and the rest of RFC3066bis) - two years ago, we
standardized a separate external metadata element for
'character-repertoire' (closely allied to script) - now
(perhaps) we will have to deprecate it - yuck!

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839