[uki18n] RE: [Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Mar 12 01:49:17 CET 2006

At 00:39 +0000 2006-03-12, Caoimhin O Donnaile wrote:

>But if this is really *all* that Latg is about - a font change! - then
>it seems to me to be just irrelevant and confusing having it as a script
>code at all, and the sooner it is deprecated and forgotten the better.

The reason the Latg and Latf script codes are in
ISO 15924 is explained in ISO 15924. A library
may hold an Irish book in the Cló Gaelach or in
Cló Romhánach, and may use the codes to indicate
what the book is printed in. This is a different
order of script representation than a font
distinction like Times/Helvetica.

See http://www.unicode.org/iso15924