[uki18n] RE: [Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Sun Mar 12 01:39:19 CET 2006

Kent,

> Caoimhin O Donnaile wrote:
> > may need correcting.  All of sga, mga, and gv were customarily written
> > in the Latg script (i.e. with dotted-consonants rather than 'h'
> > following the consonant),
>
> Latg is about a partcular font class variety and is unrelated to the
> orthography otherwise. The latter would be noted by variant subtags,
> if anyone thinks it is important enough to register variant subtags
> for this.
>
> > to script.  The "cló Gaelach" (uncial/insular font) has been widely
> > associated with Latg (dotted consonants), and it is what first springs
>
> No, the use of uncial/insular font (with the Latin script) *IS* Latg,
> quite regardless of spelling.
>
> > English.  It is the dotted consonants which matter for linguistic
> > processing:  word search; spell-check; sorting order.
>
> That has *nothing* to do with Latg vs. Latn. Feel free to suggest the
> registration of variant subtags for the spelling difference.

If this is true, then I stand corrected and enlightened.

But if this is really *all* that Latg is about - a font change! - then
it seems to me to be just irrelevant and confusing having it as a script
code at all, and the sooner it is deprecated and forgotten the better.

Maybe I'm wrong, but is there anywhere I can read up and educate myself
on this - where Latg is officially defined?

Caoimhín