[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Mar 11 23:56:40 CET 2006

At 16:41 -0600 2006-03-11, David Starner wrote:

>I think I read this book, and from what I recall, she said that many
>Cherokee were only literate in the Latin script.

I *know* I read this book, and have it here in front of me. Being
literate in Latin script means they know English, not that they write
Cherokee texts in Latin script.

>Electronic text is as likely to be a quick email or blog as it is to
>be a formal publication, and someone only literate in the Latin
>script is going to
>write those emails and blogs in the Latin script.

Burden of proof is on you to show that people write Cherokee texts in
Latin script. There are many, many, many Cherokee-language texts in
Cherokee script. I do not know of any Cherokee-language texts in
Latin script. And bilingual glosses do *not* count. I mean text.