[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Mar 11 21:04:05 CET 2006

Michael Everson scripsit:

> What? This is rather odd. Cherokee is the default script for
> Cherokee. With respect, David Starner's hearsay that people write
> Cherokee in Latin is enough to give you doubt? That's not good
> enough, John. Not good enough at all.

This is beginning to look like an argument about controversiality.
With respect, if A says a point is non-controversial, and B says
it is controversial, B is correct in general.  (Of course, when
B is Hastur the Unspeakable, this may be overridden.)

> I have a number of materials on and about Cherokee, and none of them
> suggests that ordinary Cherokee-language texts are conventionally
> written in Latin.

This might not be the case for the Eastern Band, the descendants of the
remnant who did not move to Oklahoma with the rest of the Cherokee nation.

--
John Cowan   cowan at ccil.org   http://www.ap.org
    "Mr. Lane, if you ever wish anything that I can do, all you will have