Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Sat Mar 11 05:14:22 CET 2006

Mark Davis wrote:

> IRDLOA.

Google "define:IBTD" doesn't work, <http://dict.org> also
doesn't know it, so that's really only an "obscure acronym",
and I didn't know this, sorry.  But I still disagree:

> I'm a webmaster. I see fy-DE. Where would I ever get the
> idea that I ought to add Latn to it?

Because fy-DE obviously _is_ Latn if it's written content.

The fine points of "tag wisely" in 3066bis are wasted if
folks refuse to read the document and only look into the
new registry.

Even the reviewer doesn't like to read all "fine points",
although the fy case is interesting, it's not obvious why
fy wasn't deprecated in favour of fry.

They used a trick to avoid a split and deprecation, they
declared that only the old name "Frisian" was erroneous,
and should be "Western Frisian", see:

<http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/codechanges.html>

Wikipedia and Google still say "Frisian" for fy, I can't
tell if they really mean "Western Frisian".  Bye, Frank