[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Mar 10 20:38:04 CET 2006

Caoimhin O Donnaile scripsit:

> It is certainly true that the "overwhelming majority" of documents
> now being written in Modern Irish (ga) are in Latn, but up til the
> 1950s the majority were in Latg, and many books were published in
> Latg for a decade or two after that.  There are pages in the Internet
> written in Latg, and with the coming of Unicode their number is
> likely to increase.

Your points are correct and cogent, but I counterpoise them with the
two following:

1) It is not wrong to tag a document in Latg or another script variant
as being in Latn.

2) The overwhelming majority of the documents that are *relevant* for
backward compatibility purposes are indeed in Latn (stricto sensu),
since RFC 1766/3066 tags have been historically applied mostly to
electronic documents.

In particular, it is not yet possible to write Latg in plain Unicode;
a font distinction must be made, which can be undone.  (The mere use of
dotted letters does not make the script Latg by itself; the characteristic
uncial/insular shapes must also be used.)

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  www.ap.org  www.ccil.org/~cowan
   There was an old man                Said with a laugh, "I