Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Mar 10 09:15:30 CET 2006

At 22:54 -0800 2006-03-09, Doug Ewell wrote:

>If you have a need to distinguish English in Latin from English in
>Runic, you can also use "en-Latn" alongside "en-Runr". [...] All
>that Suppress-Script says is that when you are dealing a "normal"
>case like English in Latin or Portuguese in Latin, and not working
>with a "comparison" situation as above, the "Latn" script probably
>does not add information and should therefore be omitted.

Who is "you" here? A user tagging his web page? A browser? Who
decides what a "normal" case is? A person? Software? Who is supposed
to do the omitting? A person? Software?

It is interesting to note that authors of RFC306bis also had (and
have?) misgivings about "Suppress-Script".

Looking at the registry, I see that "Suppress-Script" has been
implemented for some languages. Many other languages have no script
information whatsoever. I wonder how many there are of each. Not
being a programmer, I can't write a script to count them. I wonder
who is working on the others or why the others weren't given
"Suppress-Script". Or of there wasn't a reason to "Suppress-Script"
why guidance isn't given to users with regard to scripts that might
be used with them. Perhaps I misunderstand the reason this
information is provided still.

In "Suppress-Script", "suppress" would appear to be a verb in the
imperative. Who is to do the suppressing?