Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Mar 9 17:13:00 CET 2006

Hmm...

Suppress-Script's purpose was to suppress the use of the script subtag in
cases where it would cause problems with *existing* language tags. I argued
that it was a bad choice for precisely the reason Michael cites (I thought
"require-script" was a better solution, since few languages are customarily
written in two or more scripts--but I was basically alone in thinking this).
For languages not previously encoded, it would not hurt anything to omit the
field (yes, we'd end up with users creating tags in the form
"frr-Latn-XX-yyyy" sometimes), but this is probably not the end of the
world. Users are already cautioned not to use subtags that add no
distinguishing value, as 'Latn' usually does not for 'frr'. Suppress-Script
is an informative field that provides a stronger level of caution to
registry users and should be reserved, in my opinion, for cases where
confusion would otherwise result.

On the other hand, it is quite clear that the rules permit Frank to make the
request and that Michael needs to respond with a decision within two weeks
or issue an extension. I don't see any evidence that this request is wrong,
so I reluctantly support its inclusion, but I would also suggest that we
*not* go through the exercise of making all possible suppress-script fields.
If someone feels strongly enough to issue the occasional request, it should
be, in my opinion, honored if it is reasonable and can be demonstrated to be
accurate.

I'll note that for many languages it won't be possible for us to accurately
gauge if a language subtag should get the extra level of warning about the
use of the script subtag that Suppress-Script provides. I don't think we
should get into the business of warning about the use of script subtags
explicitly unless there is a real need (beyond the mere desire for the data
set to be complete).

Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips
Internationalization Architect - Yahoo! Inc.

It is not a feature.