Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Mar 9 15:54:33 CET 2006

Michael Everson scripsit:

> >BTW, I support Frank's proposal -- once the subtag 'frr' is added --
> >and agree with him that dozens more Suppress-Scripts need to be
> >added. Somebody just needs to do the research on them, as Frank has
> >done for 'frr'.
>
> Please explain why.

That question is rather open-ended.  The purpose of the "Suppress-Script"
field (which has no counterpart in RFC 3066) on a language subtag is
to specify the script that is customarily used to write the language.
RFC 3066bis uses the phrase "used to write the overwhelming majority of
documents for the given language".

For example, English is customarily written in the Latin script, so it
is appropriate to record a Suppress-Script of "Latn".  For languages
which are not customarily written, or are customarily written in more
than one script, it is appropriate to have no value for Suppress-Script.

The purpose of Suppress-Script is to allow the users of language tags to
avoid the routine use of tags like "en-Latn", which convey no information
beyond the simple "en" in most contexts (though they are not actually
forbidden, as it may be desirable in some circumstances to contrast
en-Latn with en-Brai).

It is I think uncontroversial that Northern Frisian is customarily written
in the Latin script.  Therefore, this registration should be permitted.

--
Work hard,                                      John Cowan
play hard,                                      cowan at ccil.org
die young,                                      http://www.ap.org
rot quickly.                                    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan