Delay in registering new ISO-based subtags

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 8 07:25:53 CET 2006

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> Doug, I would like to treat these kinds of updates in the same way as
> we treat requests for new subtags, so I don't have to manage
> different processes.

I am fine with this, as long as everything is in compliance with Section
3.3.  I do not want us to find ourselves deviating from our own
procedures that are so new they don't even have an RFC number yet.  (My
method of informing the Reviewer about ISO-based changes is not covered
by the RFC, but the Reviewer's management of the process is.)

> Therefore, I would like to request that you forward, in separate
> messages, the seven messages to this list. This will also have the
> advantage of making the entire process transparent, which is
> something that is a concern to some.

I will send these right after this message.  I agree with the benefits
of making the process transparent.

> So instead of asking me to check your website regularly for updates
> of this kind, and instead of you sending me a list of them all in one
> e-mail privately, please send them one-by-one to this list.

I'd like to point out that I have never asked anyone to poll my Web site
regularly for new content.  I sent announcements about these updates to
this list in December and again in February.

> Please make sure the subject line is clear and unambiguous, thus:
>
> NEW-INSERT LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION for "xxx"
>
> where "xxx" is the code.

Done.  The word INSERT is replaced by MODIFY in the case of "fy".

Some additional notes:

The File-Date record accompanying each of these records is dated
2006-03-08 (Wednesday), although it is still Tuesday here.  I assume the
records will not be submitted to IANA before Wednesday.  The Added dates
are also set to 2006-03-08, except of course for the record that is
being modified ("fy"), whose Added date may not be changed.  IANA may
need to change these dates to reflect the actual date they add the
records to the registry, but they should be consistent and not add
different records on different days.

I've left out the references to Håvard Hjulstad's announcements on this
list, to make sure they don't find their way into the final records.

If most future changes of this type occur one or two at a time, as I
suspect they will, this process should be much simpler.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA