Delay in registering new ISO-based subtags

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Mar 5 00:29:59 CET 2006

At 13:13 -0800 2006-03-04, Doug Ewell wrote:

>I'd like to know if the reason for this delay is:
>
>1.  Confusion over whether RFC 3066bis applies here; that is,
>whether we are in the "RFC 3066bis era" yet.

I thought that the registry was cancelled and nothing could be added to it.

>2.  Confusion over whether Michael Everson is the Language Subtag
>Reviewer responsible for this.

I don't know. I have not resigned (though I have been tempted, mostly
due to receipt of mail from a particular loon). Several people have
asked me specifically NOT to resign.

>IESG stated on February 21 [2] that "We also confirm that the IETF
>language reviewer remains Michael Everson."

No one told me. Is it true?

>3.  Confusion over the procedure (or workload) necessary to make
>this happen, or the appropriateness of the subtags.

I am happy to admit of confusion.

>I have done everything necessary to allow the Reviewer to
>copy-and-paste the request forms into an e-mail that can simply be
>forwarded to IANA. This would not take long.

No, it wouldn't. Am I the Reviewer?

>4.  Unavailability of the Reviewer.

I was in Thailand and Myanmar for a fortnight. I am home now.

>5.  Refusal to perform the action, or some other problem.

No.