Apostrophes in non-ASCII names (was: A proposed solution for descriptions)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Jun 29 18:51:13 CEST 2006

Caoimhin O Donnaile scripsit:

> It looks as if I should avoid using single quotation marks to quote
> text in the future, but rather stick to double quotation marks.
> Or maybe go for the French « »  :-)

There are a *lot* of ways to do quotation marks.
Here are the methods used by some European languages:

Quotation marks have at least six flavors in Europe alone:

    * 6-quotes ... 9-quotes (English, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Turkish)
    * 9-quotes ... 9-quotes (Scandinavian languages)
    * low-9-quotes ... 6-quotes (German, Czech, Slovak)
    * low-9-quotes ... 9-quotes (Hungarian, Polish)
    * guillemets pointing in (Slovene, German sometimes)
    * guillemets pointing out (French, Greek, Russian)

--
Is not a patron, my Lord [Chesterfield],        John Cowan
one who looks with unconcern on a man           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
struggling for life in the water, and when      cowan at ccil.org
he has reached ground encumbers him with help?
        --Samuel Johnson