NEW-MODIFY LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION for "Ethi"

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 29 16:59:21 CEST 2006

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>> My preference is for items B and C (in that order);
>
> Ok.

Glad you agree.

>> that is, changing the existing description to match the underlying
>> ISO standard, discarding the original as irrelevant, and
>
> Because it is the correct spelling.

These happen to coincide in the Ethi case, but in other cases, where the
underlying ISO standard doesn't match what you would consider the
correct spelling, it looks like there is still disagreement.  We'll have
to address such issues as they come up.

> I trust Michael to know the correct spelling for each of the cases. In
> particular, I hope Michael will tell the correct spelling for “Ol
> Cemet'”, which I guess should use a letter apostrophe instead of the
> ASCII apostrophe.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I'm guessing it would be U+02BC but prefer to
wait for Michael to say.

>> adding the ASCII fallback
>
> Tolerable, but only for the apostrophe cases.

We're only talking about aopstrophes.  For now I've abandoned thoughts
of providing ASCII fallbacks for accented letters, because of the
controversy that caused.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA