Apostrophes in non-ASCII names (was: A proposed solution for descriptions)

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 28 15:56:09 CEST 2006

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> I'm under the impression there is no consensus, and I've gone ahead
>> and submitted the Amis proposal and left the others on the dock. When
>> the various factions are ready to find some common ground about
>> apostrophes, then we can start thinking about reintroducing
>> proposals.
>
> I'm not overjoyed about this. I wanted to process these all at once,
> and I thought we did have consensus.

I thought there were several open (and interrelated) questions:

1.  Whether to include alternative Description fields with ASCII
apostrophe where only a non-ASCII apostrophe currently exists, to assist
viewing and searching (N’Ko).

2.  Whether to include alternative Description fields with non-ASCII
apostrophe where only an ASCII apostrophe currently exists, because it
is the "correct" character (Mi'kmaq).

3.  Whether to deviate from the descriptions in the ISO standard
unilaterally, or ask the relevant MA/RA to make the change (Gwich´in)

4.  Whether to use comments instead of alternative Descriptions to
indicate ASCII-folded names (Addison's idea).

As the Reviewer, you're responsible for declaring technical consensus.
What did you feel the consensus was on these points?

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA