language variant subtag en-cutspell

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Jun 23 19:59:35 CEST 2006

Joze Fabcic <joze dot fabcic at hermes dot si> wrote:

> My immediate aim is to create system which enables alternative English
> to be used exclusively. The system has functions similar to any other
> language typically used for software localizations. The system also
> takes care of communicating with people using English written in
> another orthography.

This sounds like an elaborate and ambitious experiment, similar to a
person localizing an operating system or major tool into Klingon.
Google provides "foreign language" interfaces in Mock Swedish ("bork,
bork, bork"), Elmer Fudd-speak, Hacker-speak, and Pig Latin, as well as
Latin-script Klingon.  This project reminds me of that.

> So, why do I need a registration of a language subtag? The second
> artifact already involves language designation. I want to have a
> language variant listed at
> <http://l10n.openoffice.org/languages.html>. If the openoffice.org
> group doesn't want to cooperate, I can choose another, simpler,
> program to start with. Without a language specification, a potential
> for confusion is larger.

The OpenOffice list doesn't appear a likely place for this kind of
innovation.  All of the tags on that list are strictly "language" or
"language-region", including the widely abused "zh-CN" and "zh-TW" for
Simplified and Traditional Chinese, and including a really odd pairing,
"sh-YU" for Serbian Latin and "sr-CS" for Serbian Cyrillic.

Without at least a semblance of a base of users of Cut Spelling that
would take advantage of this new software, this particular project seems
more like an exercise in localization than a true language tagging need.
I'm inclined to recommend "en-x-cutspell" as Addison has.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA