OT: language variant subtag en-cutspell

John D. Burger john at mitre.org
Fri Jun 23 18:13:33 CEST 2006

Joze Fabcic wrote:

> - A standalone bidirectional converter between traditional orthography
> and a simplified one.

This is almost certainly doomed, due to homographs/heteronyms and other
ambiguities.  For example, I believe that Cut Spelling would replace
"desert" with "desrt" only when used as a noun, due to the difference
in pronunciation.  I do not know the specifics of your proposed system,
but as a researcher in natural language processing, I strongly suspect
that your converter would require AI-complete text understanding in
order to perform with acceptable accuracy.

But everyone needs a hobby. :)

- John D. Burger
   MITRE