A proposed solution for descriptions

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 21 16:44:36 CEST 2006

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>>> This should have an o-circumflex and a smart
>>> quote in it. If N'Ko gets a smart quote
>>
>> Fine.  Get the 3166/MA to fix it.
>
> Why? Are we brainless slugs? Do we not know what a smart quote is?

Several decidely non-brainless people have pointed out that the purpose
of the descriptions is to identify the language (script, region...) and
nothing more, and to facilitate cross-checking with the core standards.

>> Fine.  Get the Library of Congress (as 639-2/RA) to fix it.
>
> There is no reason we should use the acute accent just because another
> standard made a mistake. That's stupid. We know what the correct
> character is.

Håvard, would you please arrange to have this error fixed in the ISO 639
Web pages?

> It's being fixed. I don't think it has been fixed yet. I know. I fixed
> it today and it's not uploaded yet.

I await it.

--
Doug Ewell