A proposed solution for descriptions

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jun 21 15:17:08 CEST 2006

At 09:12 -0400 2006-06-21, John Cowan wrote:
>Michael Everson scripsit:
>
>  > >or "Côte d'Ivoire",
>  >
>  > This should have an o-circumflex and a smart
>  > quote in it. If N'Ko gets a smart quote
>
>Fine.  Get the 3166/MA to fix it.

Why? Are we brainless slugs? Do we not know what a smart quote is?

>  > >Type: language
>  > >Subtag: gwi
>  >
>  > I object. The grave is a *mistake*. That
>  > character is not used in Gwich'in. The correct
>  > character is U+02BC MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE.
>
>Fine.  Get the Library of Congress (as 639-2/RA) to fix it.

There is no reason we should use the acute accent
just because another standard made a mistake.
That's stupid. We know what the correct character
is.

>  > >Type: script
>  > >Subtag: Ethi
>  >
>  > I object. The correct character to use for this
>  > is U+02BB MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA
>
>Doug, this one *has* been fixed on
>http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/iso15924-codes.html .  So we should
>remove the erroneous form with ‘ and add both Ge'ez with typewriter
>apostrophe and Geʻez with turned-comma letter.

It's being fixed. I don't think it has been fixed
yet. I know. I fixed it today and it's not
uploaded yet.