A proposed solution for descriptions (was: Re: ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko)

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 16:54:39 CEST 2006

On 6/20/06, Ciarán Ó Duibhín <ciaran at oduibhin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> ... I have come to the view that "N&#x2019;Ko" looks like a
> meaningless character string, and I would not support introducing it as a
> description.

It does look like a meaningless string, but only when viewed in this
raw form, and only because the registry has decided to use an ASCII
encoding with HTML Numeric Character References rather than UTF-8.
When viewed in any kind of end-user application, or on a web page, or
converted to UTF-8 text, it will look just fine as N'Ko.

markus
--
Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless
otherwise noted.