Registration forms for description changes

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 12 09:43:19 CEST 2006

Mark Crispin <mrc at CAC dot Washington dot EDU> wrote:

> As far as I know, the use of "North Korea" and "South Korea" as proper
> names is a western affectation.

I got the following from the Wikipedia article "Names of Korea":

"Today, South Koreans use Hanguk to refer to Korea as a whole, Namhan
(남한, 南韓; "South Han") for South Korea, and Bukhan (북한, 北韓; "North Han")
for North Korea. North Koreans use Chosŏn, Namjosŏn (남조선, 南朝鮮; "South
Chosŏn"), and Bukchosŏn (북조선, 北朝鮮; "North Chosŏn") respectively. As
relations with North Korea resumed, it became standard in South Korea to
call North Korea Yibuk (이북, 以北; "The North") to avoid the term Bukhan."

Disclaimer: I do not pretend everything in Wikipedia is 100% accurate,
only that they do their best.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA