A proposed solution for descriptions (was: Re: ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko)

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Sun Jun 11 21:55:30 CEST 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, John Cowan wrote:
> The choice taken was to introduce SGML escape sequences into the plain
> text of the I-D (and the consequent IANA publication), documented as such.

I assume that the problems with doing this are now understood.  I-Ds and
RFCs are restricted to ASCII for a reason.  I understand why LTRU tried to
get around that restriction.  But it was wrong to do so.

> Now we are considering adding escape-free alternatives, since it is
> obvious that escape sequences (as opposed to the Unicode characters they
> represent) will not be found by anything but a completely specialized
> search engine.

A completely predictable outcome.

> Doubly unfortunately, this undertaking has opened a free-for-all wherein
> all real or imaginary errors (and I take no position on which is which)
> of the source material must be corrected on the spot.  We shouldn't be
> here and should leave this place at once.

FWIW, I agree.

I'm sure that there is a proper forum for the free-for-all, just not here.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc